Wednesday 7 March 2012

I got home from work thinking I would go out for a walk today but its very cold and windy so I couldn't face it and went on the walking machine instead.  As if that wasn't punishment enough I couold smell my baked potato cooking in the oven, calling out my name!  I just did a quick 30 minutes but I can really feel the difference of regular walking.  I also managed to get into second wind a lot quicker today, usually it takes about 8 minutes but today it was around 6.  I also decided to keep an eye on what sort of time it was taking me to go at a faster pace.  I tend to up the pace a little bit and walk at that pace until I feel like Im in "second wind" at that pace before putting the pace up again and repeating that same process.  Planning on doing an 8 mile walk on Saturday.  Im slowly building up my stamina and hopefully I will be ok for the walk.  I already feel a lot better within myself. 

Also wanted to say thanks for the comments.  Im not on facebook but Andrew has passed on those comments to me so I am getting the encouragement.  Im no expert but I think that if you can do even a little bit of walking each day or every other day you will notice a difference.  Even if it takes 50 stops before you can finish a 5 minute walk the more you do it the more its going to help.  I have learnt to listen to my body and to stop or slow down if I need to.  I also know that I CAN do it.  I used to run around, play football, go horse riding, play any sport I could so I know that if I do it safely I will be ok.  When I was diagnosed I think I ended up using it as an excuse to be a bit lazy and I really regret that because it had made it all the harder to stay at some level of fitness.  I miss playing football so much but it used to take so much out of me and I always wondered why I could barely move the next day, so I do have to be a bit sensible and change to walking.  I used to jog a bit and I know that if I can carry on exercising I will be able to start jogging again, well I hope so anyway!!  I hope other people can maybe take a bit of hope from this, I know that everyone is in a different postion but I do have McArdles and we can exercise, we just have to be a bit more careful!

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment