Saturday 10 March 2012

Hi everyone I survived my walk!!

We started out going up hill as I live on a bit of an incline, it was ok and I didn't need to stop.  Got to the top of the road and the road is flat.  We started walking at a steady pace and kept that up for about the first 5 miles.  The walking itself was fine and we were both feeling good.  The weather was a bit chilly, luckily no rain but the roads we were on were very open so it was pretty windy.  We headed out towards a place called longniddry but decided going all the way out there was a bit much on our first long walk so cut down towards a little place called Cockenzie.  At this point a few niggles were started to raise their ugly heads.  Alison was having a bit of trouble with her foot and I was feeling it a bit in my left knee.  We powered on but it was also a very windy and open road and despite having thinsulate gloves on my hands were freezing.  Poor alison didn't even have gloves so her hands were white, turning to blue.

On the last two miles someone stopped to ask directions, aaarrggghh big mistake that tiny little stop did not help our legs and both of us could feel them seizing slightly.  Both of us were finding it tough going at this point but with only about a mile left we really tried to focus and not tell each other how badly we were feeling. Alison's calfs were cramping slightly and my hips were feeling it.  As we turned into my street I changed the way I was walking slightly and got a bit lazy - big mistake my calfs cramped up!  I stretched them a little, just a few seconds at a time and then carried on walking.  When we got into the house we both had to fight the urge to collapse on the sofa.  we did some stretching and some gentle walking round the livingroom. 

I am sore now but not through McArdles, just through general muscle stiffness.  Alison is feeling the same so I know its not just because of the McArdles.  We both enjoyed the walk but are feeling very tired now!  We completed 8.5 miles in 2 hours 35 minutes.  Thats about the 18 minute mile mark so we were a little disappointed as we want to be doing 15 minute miles to get a good time.  Hopefully that will come as we build up our stamina so we cant be too disappointed.  I think a nice hot bath is in order for me now!

xx

1 comment:

  1. 99% of Edinburgh's on an incline Jen! Well done both - nine miles AND on a hangover - impressed. And would say that's a good time too. Hopefully you'll be able to improve on it as you build up. Keep going! Cheryl

    ReplyDelete