Tuesday 14 February 2012

Happy Valentines Day everyone!!

So having signed up for the walk I thought the best thing to do would be to invest in some comfy trainers.  On a very cold, windy and rainy day in Edinburgh I decided to go with a friend into town and go to a proper trainer shop.  Not one of these designer trainer shops but one that actually knows if a trainer fits and who can actually give you advice.  I went to a shop called 'Run For It' and spoke to a lovely man who informed me that I should walk on the treadmill whilst he filmed my bare feet to see how I actually walked.  Fine I thought, his next question was "do you have any injuries at the moment?"  Hmmmmm well now.....I kinda have this muscle thingy disease type thing I tell him, I see his eyes glaze over slightly and the thought process going on in his head.  In my mind it went something like this, "What the hell is she talking about!!  She is in here to get shoes because she is doing a marathon, she looks fine and I have no idea what this muscle thing is ....."  In reality he probably thought ok thats fine you just tell me how fast you can go on the treadmill and how far.  Luckily it was a slowish pace and for about 30-40 seconds so I was absolutely fine.  I do admit however that I was slightly panicked.  Even though I have now gotten to a stage where I (most of the time) have noe embarrassment about stoppping or telling people about McArdle's, there are times when that age old pushing yourself too far and not stopping in time come into play.  Why do we do that??????  Its funny I never thought something as simple as going to buy new trainers could be potentially troublesome.  My advice if anyone is doing something similar, just be honest with the person and speak up.  Years ago I might not have had the confidence to say I need to tell you how fast and how far on the treadmill.  I seemed to have lost my embarassment, I think its mainly from actually having a diagnosis, I would probably have told the guy that I was really unfit and thats why it was sore pre diagnosis but actually having a name for it makes it so much easier.

So after a few trainers and walks on the treadmill I purchased my trainers and made my way back out to the cold and off to look at my new purchase thinking I will put them on soon!!!  I must say I have had a walk in them now and it was like heaven!  I have never been so happy in a pair of trainers.

Jen x

No comments:

Post a Comment