Friday 11 May 2012

Its only 4 weeks to go until the walk and I can honestly say I am getting nervous!  I have been a bit lazy the last couple of weeks so when my car broke down I decided it would be a good idea to walk home one night after work.  I chose wednesday.  Scott dropped me off at the bus stop on his way to the golf (yes I am a golf widow!) I had a 25 minute wait on the bus so decided that I would walk the 2 miles from where he dropped me off into work.  It was ok and didn't take me too long.  After a full days work I got changed and did some stretching before setting off.  It was a really nice warm afternoon, maybe a little too warm.  As I started off I could feel my legs were sore and I needed to stop.  This was after about 100 yards so I knew it was going to be a struggle already.  I was walking on a flat, good surface but every 50 steps or so I felt the need to stop.  Its very difficult for non-McArdles people to understand how we feel but my legs were so heavy I felt I could not take another step.  I felt like I was bearly able to lift my head or breathe.  Im glad I am able to write this post as most of my training has been fairly straight forward.

As I say I was stopping every 50 steps or so just trying to get into second wind.  I almost stopped at the bus stop and got my money out but I plodded on knowing that this feeling would pass and I would get into second wind.  I have not felt like that for a while and I found myself doing something which I have tried very hard not to do - everytime I stoppped I got my mobile phone out so it looked like I was stopping to read something.  I couldn't believe I was doing it, I was back to being embarrassed.  I know that the people speeding past me were probably not even looking at me but I felt like a fool stopping all the time, especially when I was all geared up and looked like I should have been running not stopping every two seconds.  I have tried very hard to get over this embarrassment and I really thought I was there but obviously old habits die hard.  Since walking with the group last year in Wales (if anyone is thinking of doing it you really should it was fantastic) I thought I had moved on a bit and could proudly stop if I need to.  I guess I need to work a little harder on that!

I kept going and eventually got into second wind.  This probably took around 15 minutes.  Its amazing how different your body feels when you are in second wind.  My legs felt lighter and it was not a continuous fight to keep going.  I think because I had been working for 8 and a half hours and it was a it warm I needed an energy boost as I just didn't feel quite right.  I always carry some jelly sweets so I had them and felt a lot better almost instantly.  The route I decided to take home is quite hilly.  I found this very difficult and struggled getting in to second wind on the hills.  I was heading towards Edinburgh City Centre and walked through Morningside and into Bruntsfield.  I had a quick stop in at Coco Chocolate to say hi to my manager and then onwards to town.  I decided to cut through Holyrood Park and then I gave in and got on a bus.  All in all I managed 9 miles plus the 2 I had done in the morning.

Im hoping to go out on Sunday for a long walk so fingers crossed.  I think its definately better for me to walk first thing in the morning after breakfast so I think from now on I will be sticking to that.  The countdown really is on.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment